Reliable Answers to Our Most Common Questions
Termites in their natural habitat act as decomposers. Now, when the termite habitat turns into a settlement, that's where the termites become a pest. Even pests can cause huge losses.
According to the latest ASPPHAMI (Association of Indonesian Pest Control Companies) data, the economic loss due to termites in Indonesia reaches IDR 2.8 trillion annually. Climate and soil conditions in Indonesia are very supportive of termites. Nearly 70% of areas in Indonesia have the potential to attack termites.
Based on research, there are about 200 species of termites in Indonesia. There are only two types that attack buildings and cause great losses, namely subterranean termites (Coptotermes gestroi) and dry wood termites (Cryptotermes cynocephalus).
Coptotermes gestroi is a species of subterranean termites that most
most commonly found in residential areas and usually nest deep underground.
In fact, many signs of termite infestation, such as damage to wood, appear pathways on the walls. Some people only become aware of termite infestations when they see lots of fly flies. Here are five common signs of termite infestation:
- The wings of the moths are scattered
- Damage to wood
- The dirt track on the wall
- The paint is uneven or bubbly
- Termite frass
Details can be seen in the article, Five Signs of Termite Infestation
For termite attacks on wood that is far from building structures such as tables, cabinets or furniture made of other wood, you can do it yourself with some insecticides that are widely sold in the market. But for termite attacks that attack building structures, it is very difficult to do it yourself.
Tackling termite attacks that attack house structures requires special skills. Knowledge of building construction is needed to identify critical areas where termites are likely to enter. Many potential entry points for termites are hidden and difficult to access.
Termite control also uses special equipment such as strong concrete drills, large capacity injection tanks, and metal injector rods to inject fluids into the ground.
In other words, termite prevention and control treatment is a job for professionals.
Termites invade our homes to eat. So, the best way to prevent termite infestation is to reduce termite food. In other words, reduce wood usage as a building structure, for example using a lightweight steel structure as a substitute for the wooden structure on the roof of the building. Using concrete or aluminum frames.
If you really have to use wood, choose wood that is resistant to termites (durable class I and II wood). Unfortunately this type of wood is relatively expensive. The next option is to use wood that has gone through a curing process. The standard of wood preservation in Indonesia can be studied here.
In addition, it can be done by eliminating the conditions favored by termites by means of following:
- Avoid contact of wooden structures with soil or plants, such as trees or wild plants
- Clean the remaining pieces of wood after construction. The remaining pieces of wood attract the arrival of subterranean termites
- Close the cracks in the wall
- Repairing damaged ceramics or pipes
- Reduce humidity by installing adequate and good ventilation, because termites like humid and warm environments
- Do not leave standing water for too long.
- Inspect the condition of the house and furniture on a regular basis.
In Indonesia, standards for the prevention and control of termite attacks on houses and buildings are regulated in SNI 2404: 2015 and SNI 2405: 2015. To select proper pest control companies, it needs to be considered as follows:
- Have a certificate or permit from the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia
- Legal entity (company in the form of CV or PT)
- Become a member of ASPPHAMI - Association of Indonesian Pest Control Companies.
- Company address is clear.
- The chemicals used have received permission from the Indonesian pesticide commission (Kompes)
- Guaranteed five years for pre-construction treatment and three years for post construction.
Ecoforpest has met all of the above requirements.